What qualifications do I need to apply for a position as a train driver?

To apply for Train Driver (above rail) positions, you will need:

1. A current locomotive drivers ticket.
2. Ability to pass minimum of Cat 1 Railway Medical.
3. Be an Australian citizen or resident with permission to work in Australia.
4. Demonstrated freight driving competence with locomotive brake experience.
5. Experience in shunting and basic train examination competencies.
6. Commitment to safety.

How do I get a job as a Track Labourer or a Track machine Operator (Below Rail)?

Track Labourers/Track Machine Operators – (Below Rail) – On many projects, clients regularly take on a percentage of green employees. The attributes they look for in an employee are being able to work in remote locations, being physically fit and having a strong safety culture.  Railtrain through its RTO has the ability to deliver skills training for rail labourers aligned to National Standards to give them basic skills for the rail industry


What qualifications do I need to apply for a Track Labourers position listed on Railtrains website?

To apply for any Track Maintenance positions, you’ll need to have:

1. A current Medical covering the type of rail employment you are seeking.
2. Be able to work as part of a team or unsupervised if required.
3. Be the holder of a current Rail Accreditation Certificate.

What are the long term prospects for me with Railtrain?

Railtrain has formed strong relationships within the rail industry. We constantly have a large forward order book of work on major projects within the state. We are always looking for experienced rail employees on long term projects. Working for Railtrain gives employees the flexibility and ability to work for multiple major clients offering various roles.

How do I apply for positions advertised on Railtrain’s website?

1. Railtrain now has an online application form. You will need to complete this form in full, attach your latest resume with relevant experience

2. Alternately, you can print the application form fill out and fax or mail back to the address specified on the application.


Where is Railtrain located?

Our current location is:
Unit 5 / 87 President St
Welshpool, WA 6106

Does Railtrain provide Safeworking Rail Training?

Railtrain has been approved by the Rail Authority to deliver accreditation training to allow all clients and employees to access/work on the rail reserve.

Railtrain has the ability to deliver Nationally Recognised Accredited Rail Training aligning to the National Standards.

How do I become a train driver?

Train Drivers/Train Examiners/Shunters (Above Rail) – to become a train driver you will need to go through a trainee program that will last a minimum of 18 months. Rail Operators such as ARG, Pacific National, BHPB and Rio Tinto offer these opportunities at different times. The preference is to always engage local candidates for these positions. Another avenue is to gain some skills as a Train Examiner or Shunter as these are some of the competencies required to become a train driver. Railtrain regularly seeks expressions of interest from employees wanting to gain entrance as Shunters or Train Examiners.